Thursday, August 30, 2007

Audio on a Blog

I've been asked by a couple of people how they can add audio to their blogs. The answer to this isn't as easy and obvious as adding videos through YouTube for example (although we may not ever need to do this again with the new video upload button in Blogger).

As with all other objects we have been adding to our blogs, the audio file has to be stored on a third party site - finding this has been the most difficult part. I've got mine working and it wasn't too difficult. I decided to upload my files (MP3) to my Google Pages account. Google Pages allow you 100MB of free storage which sounds a lot but my short podcast was 2MB so it wouldn't take long to use up your allowance - there must be somewhere else we can upload files to but I can't find it! Once uploaded, you can right click on the audio file and "Copy Link Location". This can easily be hyperlinked and added to your post as below "Hear our Podcast".

Now my favourite part of this: to show a list of all MP3s linked to your site, I've added a Streampad Player to this post. It's easy to choose any audio file to listen to. NB: It may take 2-3 hours before new MP3's appear on the player.

Hear our podcast


3 comments:

Moturoa said...

Hey there,

I fouind the link to your blog thru the ULearn blog.

FileDen is another way to upload audio to your blog.

My blog post on how to add audio to a post

Allanah

Kay said...

Thanks Allanah - I had seen this one, but the requirement to log in once a month may be a problem for some. Certainly if people are going to be uploading regularly it looks like a better option. Seems there might not be a perfect answer.

Iain CB said...

Hi Kay,

I use box.net, it is an online file storage site, and they give you 1gb for free. If you then embed a folder or file containing audio in your post you can play it directly...